View Single Post
Old 25-08-08, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Jack, the terms "Senior" or "Junior" are not intended to imply any sort of ranking or preference, or to promote divisiveness, but is merely a phrase used within the Order of Battle system to arrange units in an order, units that are in all other respects (ie: prestige, efficiency, or duties) completely equal. The same system was (and still is) used in Aust to describe units in any field organisation.
Thanks Tony - I served almost three decades in the ARA, so I'm familiar with the meaning of Service and Corps precedence, to which I think you refer when talking about the ORBAT.

Nonetheless, I have never heard the terms Senior, Intermediate and Junior, used in relation to brigades (always comprised of a number of different corps). I still think that, especially when dealing with different nationalities (even given they are Commonwealth), any notion of inequality would be best avoided.

It could simply be Canadian terminology without any of the nuances I attach to these gradings - I'm always keen to extend my knowledge, as to how our allies work.

Hopefully the original question posed by Eric has been answered and this diversion can be tolerated.

Jack