View Single Post
Old 26-09-18, 16:16
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
So Rob, what do you know about the history of your radial? Was it installed as a govt rebuild or rebuilt by the previous owner? It is safe to assume that if someone stripped off the mags and wiring it had electrical issues ? If it has not suffered a catastrophic failure ( blown cylinder, broken piston, thrown rod, master rod fail etc) it may be a straight forward fix. Look forward to hearing more! Thanks for the comments and great pics Jesse!
I am unsure as to the actual failure...too many rumours over the years to be sure. It was Bill Gregg's Sexton which came to the museum in the latter half of the 80s. At that time, there were a lot of artillery guys involved in the museum, and one story I heard was that the engine would not turn over so they tried to pull start it. If there was a hydrostatic lock, it could be bad. I came to the museum full time about 4 years ago now, and it is one of the many "taken apart" projects that I inherited. I think I have located the majority of the parts now, as they tend to move around much like the tide moves a piece of deadwood.

I have been warned before about these radials to read the manual twice, and if I think I got it, read it a third time. I am pretty sure it is one of those projects that, when the time comes, I will have to immerse myself in it. In the meantime, there are still many other vehicles, some operable and some not, that change the priorities of work. I have also warned my boss that whatever this engine does need, it will not be cheap.

The grizzly sitting next to it is in the same boat....too many years passed form the time it was operating. I heard a story form someone who was apparently visiting the museum almost 30 years ago that the museum was giving rides in it and the front end packed it in. Again, I can't be certain as I have been too busy to start diagnosing it. Summers are extremely full here between public displays and parades, sandblasting and painting, etc.

I am hoping that when my day comes to leave the museum, I am not leaving a bunch of torn apart stuff for the next guy.