View Single Post
Old 15-04-11, 20:09
carrier mech

Here is my UFI on some of the various paints illustrated. The NSN of 8010-21-870-XXXX on the 1977 manufactured can Eric shows gives it an adoption date of approx 1976. This was simple paint....it was neither IRR or CARC.

The can of PPG made paint was the IRR stuff introduced around 1980. The stock numbers for that paint, off the top of my head, was 8010-21-880-9729, 30, and 50 for the 3 colors of cam. Also available in the same series of paint with a NSN in the same range was a semi-gloss green (NSN ended in 9732 I think but I can't be sure). If someone was using the old fiche to order their paint, it was easy to mistakenly order in the semi gloss, and the troops would/may have applied it instead of the olive drab. There was a great article on the IRR paints in one of the LORE digests from that period. I have a copy back home.

In the mid to late 80s, the epoxy paints briefly appeared. The can that Eric shows is an example of this. If I remember tomorrow I'll look up the NSN range of 8010-21-898-XXXX to get a more exact date. These paints were used at the factory on the Iltis I believe, and ended up giving some serious health effects. We were not allowed to weld, sand or grind an Iltis without first removing the paint on the area by use of strippers. This was due to the isocyanates in the epoxy paint. In the meantime, the IRR paints continued on. Around 1990 there was a Cdn CARC introduced, but it ended up being withdrawn before I could even get any in. We ended up going back to the IRR from the early 80s. In the early 90s the cam patterns for the B vehicles was canceled and the B vehs were to be painted n the flat green color, or it' CARC equivalent. By the end of the 90s, production of the IRR paints ceased, and we were using the US CARCs. With the introduction of the water based CARC in the last few years, Canada followed suit.

There, thats my UFI on paint. The photos shown in this thread are good in that they really show the various paints and manufacturers from the 70s, 80s and into the 90s.