View Single Post
Old 20-11-17, 18:46

Default Check BBC, CBC, ABC archives

Hi David

You might want to check the archives and some of the technical forums related to BBC, CBC, ABC. Over the years I have dug into particularly the BBC archives online and found a lot of information of interest to me. One comment I would make is if you find something of interest save the whole page, take a screenshot etc. saving links to stuff in the archives is an often futile exercise and the links may not work several years later.

As to listening to shortwave out of Africa in the United States my parents had a Multi Band Radio in the living room which included Shortwave and they told stories of listening to broadcast on a fairly regular basis. (I wasn't born until 1948) My father work for the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington DC on various types of Radar and Radio equipment. My first radio as a kid was a Military Aircraft Radio multi band. I can remember listening to shortwave from all over the world.

Bruce the link to the article is a great one some interesting reading. Was there a major solar flare cycle that coincided mid 50s Geophysical Year. I remember my dad talking about it and taking us out to see the Aurora Borealis one very cold night we drove over to the Chesapeake Bay to get away from the city lights.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com