View Single Post
Old 28-11-17, 02:52
Terry Warner

Default Personal military experience with FM skip

In the late 70s my militia training included a crew commanders' course run on weekends in Longue Pointe (ie Montreal) and Camp Farnham. We had M38A1s with RT524 radios and PRC77 manpacks. The spectrum managers had given us a couple of frequencies for the exercise.

At one point out on the trace, we were hearing another English speaking net doing something similar to our training. The North/South axis would have located them in the US southeast states. The fun began when one of our callsigns called a 'lateral left clear', and the other net reacted. Their control immediately announced 'not us, that was the other guys'. Our two exercises were cross-talking on skip. It didn't last long, but while it was happening it was fun.

Among the other things I remember from that exercise, was men talking in their sleep doing voice procedure with each other. I remember feeling hot and gritty, and feeling very dependant on our crews and vehicles. We were living the example of forward recce with just ourselves to rely on. I also remember the fear of rolling over or having an accident with no roll-bars or protection. Windburnt faces and chapped lips, bleary eyes and dusty hair. The nostalgia of youth. All that and about $27 a day pay.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!