View Single Post
Old 07-09-15, 14:25

Before leaving Coe Hill with Phil Whitehead we tracked down Jeff Armitage and asked him if he would consider towing us back with one of his two M series 5 ton tractor units.

He said he would and so we knew that if we did not succeed that the cavalry would arrive and how they did indeed.

Frank V.R. in his EME MRT contact truck and Art in his blazer and Wilf in his jeep as chief heckler accompanied Jeff in the 5 ton with John Lloyd as co driver.

Our first challenge was to get the pins out of the shackles on the front of the M8 to connect the A bars. In the end old school techniques won the day and we filled down the burr and got the bars on.

A clear discussion on roles and signals and procedures was undertaken and I was promoted from passenger to driver of the M8 for the slow haul back. I have quite a bit of experience with A bars and straight bar recovery. There were a number of steep hills to go up and down and some tight turns on gravel and blacktop. This picture by M8 owner Al Duffy doesn't do the gradient justice.

Jeff did a grand job of driving and John was communication between him and myself the whole way.

A long slow haul with zero drama.

My thanks to all of those who came to our help, you guys were great.

Just goes to show that everyone needs a recovery plan at all times.

Thanks to everyone who had tools and kit that we used to make a plan and get back.

When I left Coe Hill last night the M8 was still not running, we think that the problems are layered.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Coe Hill 2015 15.jpg  

Last edited by Robin Craig; 07-09-15 at 14:30.