View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 18:27
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Boaler View Post

I haven't figured out how the wiring that would be wound on to the outside of the drum would be connected to the spring loaded terminals... seem a bit odd as there's no means of a positive mechanical connection (like a threaded terminal and a couple of nuts would offer). Any ideas on how the wires might be connected would be appreciated... a couple of small hose clamps maybe???
I reckon that's a hub and not the actual drum. My guess would be that there's a cable reel with a large central hole that fits over it, with a contact block that goes into the cutout on the hub and carries a pair of strips that make contact with the spring loaded contacts on the hub. This would allow the cable reel to be carried inboard for protection, and also quickly replaced if it was damaged - just pull the old reel off and slap a new one in place. It probably used something like jacketed twin cable since it wouldn't need to be as robust as D3 - something like the wire used on the early remote control units (Q10?) on their small reels, but obviously on its own special drum to fit this hub unit.

I've got both ends of the Junction Remote Control if anyone needs a photograph of those.

Chris. (Back again, but still very busy at work.)