View Single Post
Old 13-10-09, 19:28

Default CGT finally finished

I Everyone

Been a very busy summer, the weather was excellent for working outside, so I made the most of it. It was time to put the rear body on to the chassis. We trailer-ed the body into my car port and being on a wheeled cart it rolled off fairly easy with only a few tense moments. Luckily for me I had acquired a 2 post car lift hoist several years ago so I swung 4 arms out and picked the body straight up and unbolted my dolly cart.
After I backed up the CGT chassis carefully underneath and gently lowered the CGT body onto the frame. I made 2 wooden spacers from an old pallet made of mahogany, quite a bit of fitting and cut outs for various bolt heads and frame rivets. Then the body was secured to the frame by 4- 3/4" U bolts and 2-1/2" bolts. A local spring shop made the U bolts for about $25 each.
What was amazing was the distance between the front cab and rear body was about 3/4" to 1" apart top to bottom.

I spent the next few weeks on compartment doors, 15 of them, using 1" stainless steel piano hinge, steel and aluminum rivets. After a while I got the hang of it. They turned out really well. My buddy Bruce a sheet metal expert made all the raw pieces and I sand blasted each piece and primer-ed them before assembly.

Walde
Attached Thumbnails
thanksgiving2009 027.jpg   thanksgiving2009 021.jpg   thanksgiving2009 029.jpg   thanksgiving2009 030.jpg