View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 18:32

Default CGT discussion

Several interesting questions.

Phil/Maurice/Alex

How can you tell if you have the large throat 261 carburetor, I have one extra with the 261?

As far as the exhaust manifold goes it is a one piece cast manifold with two out lets, as far as I know probably an original Pontiac option from the 50's. My exhaust set-up uses a modern Ford muffler dual inlet 2" to a single 2 1/2" outlet. I am going to keep a close eye on the exhaust manifold gaskets as you suggested, a re-torque/tighten when its still warm would be a good idea too. Which I have done.

The major difference in power over the 235 is the 261 it can hold on in 3rd gear longer in some cases I don't have to gear down as often up hills in our geographic area in the city or on the highway.In our recent BC convoy the truck spent a lot of time on the hills in 2nd gear wound out, it just wasn't enough torque to hold on to 3rd.

As the F.A.T. will be driven frequently, I opted for reliability and drivability over the 235 or the 216. For high way travel you need to do a sustained 45MPH, 50 MPH is preferred but not possible with most WW2 and M series vehicles like an M38. At about 48MPH I had a tach reading of 3800 in the FAT, so 45 MPH is about maximum speed.

Our club plans in 2012 is to drive the Alaskan highway and an Alberta trip at the same time , I'm guessing a 4000km drive. Our trip distances are fairly long, this years convoy was @1000km total round trip over 6 days and a majority on a major highways.

As far as the tach goes, it's temporary as I need to verify the operating parameters of vehicle in general,the sounds, the gears, road noise, at least until everything becomes comfortable. Phil, Princess Auto has 2" tach's at @ $30.00 CAN.

My last job for the FAT is installing a 19 set for the rear passenger compartment. I have some pics of one from WW2 in Canada, so might as well and I can display my 19 set.

My new project is restoration of a No 27 limber (to go with the FAT) Anyone have issues mounting 900X16 NDT's on the limber wheels? I am having trouble getting them on, the limber wheels were made in Canada. They are similar in configuration to an M37 rim.

Thanks for your input gentleman!

Walde