View Single Post
Old 19-12-15, 08:38
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Super Dave

The fitting in the bracket mounted on the upper corner of the side of your Gen Box is a heat shroud that is supposed to be clipped somewhere onto the Onan AC/DC generator to shield it's exhaust pipe and prevent it from overheating something critical. I have never seen an example of the model of Generator in question to understand why protection was required.

If the mounting bracket and shroud are original to your Wireless Box, then it was originally equipped with the Onan mounted on the floor and the chore horse on the upper shelf. My old Wire-5 Box had the same bracket and I found the shroud in a box at Princess Auto. The same Gen Box also had that big steel tray with the grab handle mounted in the floor of the Gen Box so it must also relate to the Onan, or it was a standard item for all boxes.

There is an instruction decal (white paper with red printing and border) that was put on the wall of the gen box just to the left of the shroud mount and it actually referenced the model number of the Onan Generator used in these trucks. Currently, my photos of that decal are in my 'No Can Find Collection'. Whenever it turns up I will post a copy of it.

The ratio of Onan/Chorehorse combos to all Chorehorse must have been quite low. Princess purchased a lot of some 100 Wireless-5 vehicles from War Assets or Crown Assets in the mid 1950's at a point in their service history where they had only ever seen wartime equipment in them. They were sold initially as complete vehicles. By the late 1960's Princess had started stripping the boxes off the cab and chassis assemblies and flogging them separately. For some odd reason the cab and chassis's were listed in their catalog as Dodge 3/4-tons even though the photo was a Chev CMP. About 40 unsold boxes and about a dozen cab and chassis assembles were still in the Princess Yard here in Winnipeg by the end of the 1970's. Only a half dozen or so of the boxes by then had traces of having the Onan bracket setup. Some of the boxes were being used for storage but most were still pretty complete .There were also a pair of Ford Cab 13 FAT's, a cutdown HUA a half dozen Halftracks formerly owned by the Brandon Construction Company and two or three Chev 6x4 CMP's, one of which had been a Dental Lorry. By the end of the 1980's all had gone to their Scrap operation north of town and were crushed.

David

Thanks for the info on the bracket, I will pass it on to the owner of the vehicle.Yes if you ever find that sheet of paper pleases post it with dimensions so that he can get one made up so it will be that more complete of a unit.