View Single Post
Old 26-03-18, 19:13

Rob: I've done a bit of work on the wheels of both a 50mm Krupp Mountain Gun and one of the Bethlehem Steel 37mm 1916 guns and agree that the spokes are often numbered. Not clear why, unless it had something to do with the military fetish of numbering everything, including the men... But because the tire is bolted, rather than shrunk, on, it's easy to replace spokes, at least on those two examples. The ones in question have a more complicated design, but surely it is reproducible.

Further, I also have an 18 pdr and limber in the same condition, so if the wheels on that unit are the same size it would mean 8 wheels, which makes the construction of jigs/fixtures for the wood parts worthwhile. Do you know if the size is the same?

George: At the moment a drawing/closeup photo of the hub would maybe decide if I'd be over my head here.

There is no particular rush here, as the present project in the shop is not quite in the roll out stage, and there is cleanup on the units in question regardless of the outcome of the reconversion issue.

Did a little web searching last night. Had not realized just how significant the 4.5 and the 18 were in British history. They and their users certainly got into the mix of things.

Really appreciate the responses. It's pretty amazing how much knowledge and info is available if one just finds the appropriate people.