View Single Post
Old 13-05-18, 01:18

I picked up most of the radios and all the telephones along with a number of telephone cable reels (some with wire) and then some valves also a heavy power supply for the AR8/AT5 base stations and other bits and bobs.
I let a WS38 radio go, missed a box of little acorn valves in the excitement.
Maybe the winner would let me buy a few?

I let the two AR8 sets go (I have a few) for more than $50 to someone who I hope will contact me on how they went when he got them home. We were amazed someone had fitted a 3 pin power plug to one (Shudder)
The one with the alternate dial was unmolested.
The other had capacitors hanging loose

We both need the aerial tuning unit to complete our sets

In a hind site, I should have bid on some other items, tarps, boxes
(except the Nissan was full and dragging its backend as it was)

I would have liked only about 4 of the tank helmets so did not bid on the crate fulls.

I had a very enjoyable Monday morning with Tim looking in a container and purchased some bits for the 38 AFV set and my 19's

We had a great time with the man and his mate who purchased the tank (will have to pop down and see him sometime) along with many other persons we met.

Everyone here thinks I am crazy to travel so far for a particular radio.

On the way down, the Nissan threw a hissy fit out of Coonabarabran, overheating 3 times in a few kilometres (130 degrees or more, smoking hot) then got over it and purred along for the rest of the journey. I really flogged it the last 60ks to home and could not get a temp rise at all!

I had bought a gen set from Bunnings before I realised the deep cycle battery in the van had dropped a cell, then had to replace that (all unexpected expenses)

My wife and I did a little detour on the way home through Corowa, Cootamundra, Canberra (3 days here), Coma, Bega, Tathra (paddled in the sea) Bermagui (fish and chips for lunch) Kioloa (another paddle) Nowra, up the Kangaroo Vally escarpment (amazing road) Mittagong, Sydney (2 days here and had to replace the front brake pads after the lining completely wore off in a panic stop) through the Putty road (why anyone thought to build this road as a good idea to get freight out of Sydney escapes me) Tamworth (raining and so cold in our pop up canvas sided caravan) and then flatout home in a day.

So much dry bare country, I feel for all the farmers feeding their livestock.

After 2953 km My travel bug is cured for a little while, maybe head north where it is warm? or where is the next sale?

Now out to the shed to thoroughly examine my treasurers

Cheers, rod