View Single Post
Old 18-11-17, 23:47
Ian Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi Ian,

I bought similar front pins from Dennis Carpenter however they were Chinese repros. They were such a tight fit on the pins that I didn't use them and waited until some NOS came along.

The Dennis Carpenter ones could have been used with a bit of careful reaming. As most of these parts come out of the same factory in China it is something to be aware of if you use a repro bushing.

The rear bushings of course are much larger diameter and seem to be harder to find.

The originals are of interesting construction. I don't think the bronze liner is pressed into the steel sleeve because it is of extremely thin wall thickness, Unlikely to press in without crushing. I believe the bronze is pressure bonded to the steel similar to Raco Ware in Australia, or Revere Ware in the US. I cannot detect even the smallest gaps between the steel and bronze even at the lengthwise split. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, and happy to be corrected if so.

Bronze bushings on steel pins is preferable but as Lynn says others have used steel bushings on steel pins. You would however want the best surface finish possible on the inside of the bushing to prevent chewing up the pins.

Cheers,
Yes Jaques,

It appears that the bronze insert is two pieces on some....but not all.

Steel pin bushes might be easier to obtain. I don't think i want to wait to find NOS ones.

the pins appear to be ok; Very little wear, so I am guessing that the bronze took the wear out.

A tight fitting pin on the bush would be ok, I could probably ream it out a little. A shame they are not the same size as Land Rover ones

Cheers,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
20171119_065635small.jpg  

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff