View Single Post
Old 06-12-10, 10:16
Tony Baker

Default Farewell, Noble Gent!

Being fairly new to MLU, I sadly did not get opportunity to know Mr Winnington-Ball personally. That being said, I certainly knew of him. I knew of him because he was considered a most knowledgable and eminent military vehicle enthusiast, who was, and still is, held in very high regard by those who knew him, and joined him in his passion for the vehicles that played such an important role in shaping the outcome of conflict and therefore the world.

I feel so terribly sad for the family of Mr Winnington-Ball, and hope they will get some small comfort in the knowledge that we share in their grief, albeit from a distance. With the passing of such a gentleman, I feel a little cheated that I will never have the chance to communicate with him, or hear his thoughts, or ask his advice.

So FAREWELL OLD SOLDIER, the flag is flying at half mast. If I had a Canadian flag it would be flying, but I hope the Australian flag will surfice. After all, we fought side by side, and our countries stood united together. The same way we are now united in grief of your loss.

LEST WE FORGET