View Single Post
Old 22-09-20, 05:40
carrier mech

I have mis-filed some in between photos, so jump to today and here is where it sits now. I got the mount mostly together yesterday and tossed the pair of 50s onto it. I still have to change one to right hand feed configuration, which can be a bugger on a deact. At this point, I now have to refinish the clamps for the shoulder braces, the cradle pins, and clean up and install the tombstone drums. I missed out on the ones at Dennis' auction last December, this pair of drum mags cost me considerably more than if I had made it to that bidding ring. As well, the swing chair has to be refinished and installed. I also have to figure out what marking will go on the shield.

My plan was to move this in to the gunroom, but the damn thing weighs in at 875 pounds without the guns or drums. It is likely at around 1100 pounds with those items and the dummy ammo. I am now leaning towards it residing in the workshop, as that shield is too heavy to install without a tractor.

The photos make it look pretty simple, but in reality I had to remove the left cradle about 4 or 5 times trying to get the elevation clamp adjusted properly along with other tasks. There were a few other instances of having to remove major assembly's in that old adage of "two steps forward and one step back". Then I had to remove the front portions to get the front shield onto it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0040.jpg   DSCF0043.jpg   DSCF0045.jpg   DSCF0048.jpg