View Single Post
Old 12-02-06, 00:34
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Jordan, are you aware of there being more than one style of flexible saw? I have what has been called correctly or not, an Engineer's saw. It is very similar to yours except for it requires two-2 piece handles and comes in a larger, rectangular leather pouch (see pics). The case is embossed ROBCO LTD MONTREAL 1943 on the outside and has C<- and 202 stamped on the inside. I've looked in David B. Gordon's excellent book, "Equipment of the WW II Tommy" and on pg. 171 it shows the same saw and pouch as you have. I wonder if you or anyone else reading this thread may know of the correct designation and issue of the saw I have?
Your saw is appropriate as well. It was just a later version of the same saw. The examples I have had had the smaller pouch as earlier, and even WW1 dated, while the double wide ones were WW2.
These saws were still issued (the Robco WW2 dated ones) to the M113 APC pioneer dozers as late as the mid 90s. I did more than a bit of horsetrading trying to pry them all away from the guys, who were much more content to use chainsaws.

Heres a question I have always had about the tools. What were the three little 'U' shaped wedges for? I would guess that the tapered one was to open up the coil spring enough to get a full size wedge in, so that you could get the track jack into the spring to compress it. Does anyone know for certain?

Last edited by rob love; 12-02-06 at 00:49.