View Single Post
Old 21-09-22, 04:09
Terry Warner

Default MSVS contract 4 of 5 steps along

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...m-project.html

With the requisite pictures, text, self-congratulations, and selfies.

For what it's worth, the SEV boxes are quite interesting. I'm familiar with two of the half-dozen. The dimensions are the same as a 20' sea can. The office box has a diesel 110-v generator, line conditioner, heater and air conditioner mounted in the first 2' of the nose end. It has a dozen cable and power in sockets. In place, the SEVs can be daisy chained together to a power supply and to whatever are the signals feeds. Like the MLVW SEV boxes, they have conventional channels and hardpoints for attaching tables, bins, lockers, and other clag. But unlike the earlier SEVs, these are 100% Pallet Loading System compatible to move around and be dropped in place. That is both a strength and a weakness, because the logistics loop has to be able to pick up the SEV box and move it, whereas before, the driver moved the truck and that was it.

The other version which I've seen is the map supply SEV. (I was asked for my comments on handling papermaps when I was a Troop WO at Mapping and Charting Establishment. And I relied on examples of map supply I'd seen in Bosnia, Afghanistan, and the CF Map Depot) No conventional army will ever replace paper sheets. Period. Paper is dense and heavy. It has to store flat, and doesn't like being bent before issue. The traditional sorting, storage and resupply furniture is a steel cabinet with a bunch of drawers. For floorspace to open a drawer and manipulate an armload of paper would mean the drawers are all on one side, and that imbalances the truck. Therefore, I advocated and it was accepted, that the map supply SEV has map drawers over the chassis and drop sides for enclosed workspace. Instead of being 8 or 9ft wide, the deployed SEV is about 25' wide. That air conditioner keeps the paper flat and ready for issue. The trouble has been staff officers find a way to use the SEV as a briefing tent and sleeping quarters - much to the disgust of the Geo Techs who have to work in it.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!