View Single Post
Old 14-12-14, 18:31

Default My understanding of Contracts 241-242

Reade with interest various comments on early contracts.

I have an early slat supplied under CDLV-242 and it is my understanding that the first 4 contracts had Canadian specification changes/additions all others after that were as supplied off the assembly line.

As already stated CDLV 241 was for 500 vehicles (home service) and CDLV 242 for 1500 vehicles destined for overseas service. Production of both contracts ran simultaneously within the chassis serials already mentioned all being produced within February 1942; hence all iron bar stock slat grill. Mine was manufactured on 13th.February 1942 with chassis number 119696. All vehicles within these two contracts had the rounded tank well. All had the standard early Willys parts such as pancake air filter, extended oil filler tube, longer breather, brass/bronze windscreen catches, no provision for carbine holder, green steering wheel, speedo face, 'gas' gauge, although most appear to have the 50/50 Oil pressure gauge. Brass choke/throttle cable heads, rounded/square clutch /brake pedals, axles, gearbox/transfer box, half shaft end castings, no Jerry can holder.

Canadian spec items included a single electric wiper on the drivers side, standard manual type on passenger side, towing rings both front and rear. There are also two additional dash switches with a plate stipulating 'Axle' & 'Brake' operating a convoy light on the back axle and isolating the brake lights. As the convoy light and switches are the standard Canadian toggle switches and convoy light these were either supplied to be fitted of as is my understanding a retro fit after.

Have attached some pics and will post also some war time images.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Dash Plate.jpg   Engine 2.jpg   Interior.jpg   IMG_3588 - Copy.jpg   IMG_3585 - Copy.jpg