View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 11:50
MLU Administrator

Default Sherman Crab "AVALON"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinT View Post
I have run a search across all databases (name list is 30+ years old) and emails (sad i know but i still have 10 years saved) and nothing has come up. The database does not have AVALON matched to a specific regiment, which regiment does the Overloon museum state it belongs to. If you can let me know I can then check to see if I have anything on that particular regiment.
I am not a specalist of Operation Aintree, but do know that all Sherman Crab flail tanks were operated by the 79th Amoured Division, 30th Armoured Brigade. The Brigade had three regiments: 22nd Dragoons, 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Westminster Dragoons) and the 1st Lothians and Border Yeomanry.

There is some uncertainty about to which regiment T-147955 "AVALON" belonged to. One story line states the tank commander was William Hall, troop leader of 4th Troop, "A" Squadron of the Westminster Dragoons. Another uncertain part is where this tank was actually knocked out with a Panzerfaust. Hall stated it was near a small town called Broekhuizen while other reports state it was near Boxmeer (further North).

Possibly Michel Sabarly has more info about "AVALON", he is an expert on the 1st Lothians and Border Yeomanry.

Edited to add: I now see Alex and I were replying simultaneously. Maybe we should start a separate thread about "AVALON", Alex?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Overloon Sherman Crab (3).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	116045
Source: jarnob.nl (2005)

Click image for larger version

Name:	4281563121_1a1d6672c9_k.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	116044
Picture courtesy of Pierre-Olivier Buan

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 11-09-20 at 11:56. Reason: edited after simultaneous posting