View Single Post
Old 19-10-17, 08:13

I just had a look at my box of pumps. I have about 8 of them Chevrolet and Ford. No two are exactly the same and none of them has a name plate. Some cast iron and some alloy.

The plug in the bottom is just a hole for an oil can. Most have a right angle fitting with a little tin flip lid. The one in question has a spring loaded tin lid but coming straight out.

I think so long as there is about an inch of oil in the bottom all will be well as that is the height of the tin lid oiler. If gearbox oil does come along the shaft it can not fill the pump crankcase as it will just leak out the oiler fitting to maintain the correct level.

Quite apart from that there would not be a CMP in ten thousand that used its air pump sufficiently to wear it out when you consider early air brake trucks had similar compressors running continuously for thousands of hours.

Just an observation in my collection are two pumps mirror image to the CMP ones. This gives the option of fitting a pump with the head forward or back to clear chassis rails etc or on the opposite side of the gear box (does not matter which direction they turn) so a winch or hydraulic/mechanical tipper power take off can go on the other side. I had a Dodge WC53 with a winch take-off one side and a compressor identical to a CMP model on the other.

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Blitz Pump001.jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 19-10-17 at 08:38.