View Single Post
Old 08-10-04, 12:47
former Resident Historian

Default Otis!

Above: The new photograph I have added shows a different scene in the same street

The above shots of Ford Model C39Q F60B Bofors trucks dates from 1943...Canadian made guns? Note the original arrangement when built/assembled in England with Willys MBT [?] trailers and 'H' prefixed trucks as tractor. However in 1944 this had changed and David's photo above shows I believe the rebuilt version to 'SPM 40 mm' which carried 'S' prefixes, having lost their trailers. All British orders were to S/M 2645 by the way.

R Waygood & Sons Limited were in Falmouth Road, Newington, London SE1, manufacturers of elevators and cliff railways etc. In 1916 they were taken over by Otis of the US to become Waygood-Otis Limited. They had branch offices in Manchester, Newcastle, and Australia..... My dad's company used to make components for Waygood-Otis and I rang him to confirm if he knew anything about them but sadly did not know anything about them during the war. Waygood-Otis later became Otis Elevator.

If anyone can identify where the 40 mm Ford versions were manufactured please, this would be of great interest.

Oh! The MCC truck looks as though it was a rebuild by Morris Commercial Cars Limited in late 1943, about the time that MCC rebuilt C/8P Predictors, AT Portees and Gun Tractors to 17-pounder tractors.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 08-10-04 at 15:33.