View Single Post
Old 18-08-18, 01:50

I instantly regretted using the word "choppy". I speak for my own experience here and what if any information I have found that may be helpful to others. What I was driving at is brakes on then brakes off...not constantly holding pressure especially when not in a turn, firm on and then completely off, sometimes requiring levers manually being pushed forward into the off position, that is probably more a result of driving old junk versus a "new" Sherman. And it is very easy...and tempting to adjust brakes too tight so they have very quick response on the levers...especially cold and in a parking lot maneuvering around other vehicles looking for your "pimp display parking spot." (and a few gallons of soapy water will help you save that rubber track, especially on concrete!)

IMHO I disagree about holding brakes on for extended periods of time...I have no experience in M113, Leo etc, but the vehicles I do have, Sherman's among them, that friction creates heat...heat makes drums expand and crack, shoes glaze and oil burn

From my own experience on 40 acres in all gears...the brakes begin to work better once warmed up...especially the earlier single anchor brakes...the later twin anchors feel like a sports car in comparison. Also pad material can be a consideration...I happened on a quantity of Israeli re-lined brake shoes...damn near knock your teeth out when you pull the sticks!

Reminds me of the scene from Magnum Force where Dirty Harry is pretending to be the Captain of a jetliner to thwart a hijacking...after a couple of minutes and a few odd maneuvers the co-pilot turns to Harry and says "excuse me Captain, this may sound funny...but can you fly? In classic Harry fashion...Eastwood replies..."Nope...never had a lesson"