Thread: Sand chains...
View Single Post
Old 04-10-04, 21:56

Default Sale of CMP's

David,

I will try to find some more exact information about the norwegian postwar purchase of CMP's for you, but as I will be away from home and my bookshelf for most of the next two weeks it will take some time.

Norway purchased equipment for two "reduced" infantry divisions from UK just after the war - some of the vehicles was left out because of the large amount of ex-German vehicles available in Norway after a force of 360.000 Germans had surrendered in Norway at VE-day.

I know that the norwegian army purchased 120 CGT/FGT's from MOD a little later - they were refurbished in UK for norwegian expences.

And as a agreement made with UK in the beginning of 1945 Norway would participate in the occupation of Germany with a reduced infantry division - it was reduced to a brigade before the agreement was signed postwar, under command of BAOR. This occupation brigade was equipped by UK/BAOR, this included all equipment, also equipment and vehicles for training purposes in Norway, for a capitation rate of 10 shillings/man/day. As a part of the deal all the equipment including vehicles became norwegian property after five years. All the equipment was brought back to Norway when the brigade was terminated in April 1953.

More details/pics to follow