View Single Post
Old 23-10-18, 10:13
VMVC

Default Foam extinguishers fitted on trucks

Good Day All,

I thought it might be good to find a 2 gallon Foam extinguisher to put in the holder which came off my F15-A Battery Staff vehicle.

I picked one up on Gumtree today. i realize it was dated 1950 so not 100% period correct but looking at the various Simplex Wormald extinguishers online it seems the desigh hadn't changed at all from the thirties through the fifties. At least 1950 was the closest one to WW2 I could find and only one of two foam type amongst the dozens of water type ones being offered. Once they are paint stripped and polished the price also goes through the roof!

Perhaps military ones has some other differences such as a DD mark so would be interested to know if there was any differences between a civie and a military Foam extinguisher.

The other question is colour. I water blasted the robin egg blue paint off to reveal a lot of the original dark blue colour which is the colour used to denote foam extinguishers. Water type ones are painted red. Since they are exposed on the outside of the vehicle would the Army leave them in that dark blue colour or slap Khaki Green over them?

It didn't cost too much so if I got it wrong I will just polish it up and use it as a brolly stand to remind me to do more research before buying things!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0239.JPG   IMG_0244.JPG   IMG_0235 (2).JPG  

Jacques Reed