View Single Post
Old 29-09-17, 16:23

Default LCol Currie's medals

OMG Hanno ! Not just a soldier from Saskatchewan but a Canadian national hero !

I distinctly remember serving at Currie Barracks in Calgary while working alongside the LDSH ( Lord Stratcona Horse , an armoured unit ) early in my career. It made an impression. He was God there.

I am not sure if now everyone ( including the Minister ) understands the national historic and military significance of these medals.

I hope her recent dealings with Netflix did not obscure or distract her attention to the point of letting these go to private hands outCan.

In CANADA we need and ought to recognize and cherish our national heroes goddamit !

We have few that were recognized but there were many more. So please , please let's treat them ( the ones that were ) like royalty.

I am a collector and I believe in private property . But as everything else in life there are limits ! In my opinion this is a case were the public should be able to revere and reflect over these medals in a proper public display.

OF INTEREST : At The Toronto Staff College Officer's Mess , there is a room were all Canadian recipients of the VC are remembered . AWESOME. Never felt so sad , proud and at the same time humbled . A lot are posthumous. Kind of the same feeling I got when I visited the Peace tower in Ottawa and saw the book of Remembrance for the first time.

Note for our friends from overseas : The book of Remembrance contains the names of all Canadian service members killed in action during the First and Second World Wars , the Korean conflict and all subsequent Peacekeeping missions . More recently were added the names of our comrades killed in the Afghan War. It is a very important document and a page is turned every day so that every soldier that courageously gave his life gets a chance to be publicly remembered . .
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 02-10-17 at 14:15.