View Single Post
Old 04-09-09, 06:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default BCATP info sought

Not a relative of mine, but helping out a pal at work who's compiling a family history.

"Lawrence Thompson was born on Lord Howe Island on 10 Sep 1912. Lawrence enlisted in the RAAF in Sydney on 16 Sep 40 and applied for training as Aircrew. Two older brothers, Nathan and Percy also enlisted, but in the Army, with Nathan being a WW1 Vet. He trained at No2 Initial Training School at Lindfield in Sydney until 12 Oct 40 (Keith may be aware of the place, the grounds became Film Australia!), and was then moved to No2 Embarkation Depot at Bradfield Park until sailing for Canada on 31 Oct 40 as part of the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS). Note that he did not do any flying training in Aust.

On 21 Nov 40, Lawrence commenced training at Calgary, Alberta. The Provincial Institute was home to No2 Wireless Training School. Flying exercises were conducted at Sheppard, an RCAF Airfield just east of Calgary. On 26 Apr 41, Lawrence moved to Mossbank, Sask to commence in No2 Bombing and Gunnery School. Mossbank was a base built specifically for the BCATP scheme in Oct 1940 and closed in Dec 44, the location being selected because the nearby Old Wives Lake was a valuable Navigation Aid and bombing and Gunnery range. Aircraft used in training at Mossbank were Fairey Battle planes and were survivors of the earlier battles over Britain, with many having hastily repaired bullet holes.

On 2 Jun 41, Lawrence's training in Canada ceased, and he transferred to "M" Depot at Halifax, from where he sailed to the United Kingdom on 15 Jun 41."

The above is a quote from Part 1 of my mate's research, and more will be forthcoming, but I was hoping to fill out some details and clear up any errors. I note that the majority of schools and depots are recorded as No 2. In Australia, this is probably correct as NSW is No 2 Military District and this is probably the correct designation for the Initial Training School and Embarkation Depots, but is it more than co-incidence that Calgary and Mossbank were also No 2 schools, or was there some continuity in the scheme and the training heirachy?

And what information is available about "M" Depot in Halifax and the Convoy he would have sailed on, including possible ships carrying Aircrews?