View Single Post
Old 16-07-12, 23:26

Default Coolant Leak out of the bottom of the clutch pan

Hi All

No Jason may not be Karma see http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ghlight=freeze

Today I was out in the shop working on the Pattern 12 C60L getting it ready of our club rally starting next week. At the end of the day I looked under the HUP parked ahead of the C60L in the shop and dammed if there wasn't a puddle of antifreeze on the floor grabbed the creeper and rolled under the HUP to look for the source and it was dribbling out of the drain hole on cover pan under clutch (just as Jason had dis-cribbed),

With visions of having to pull the engine this week to look at the freeze plug. As I had mentioned the service bulletins to Jason. Anyway I removed the pan and yes there was definitely coolant in the clutch pan. But a closer look showed that it had run into the pan from the outside because of the shape of the front shield. Looking up from under the HUP I could see that the side of the engine above the starter was wet. Visions leaking head gasket, then I opened the hood and darned if there wasn't coolant on top of the valve cover ridge on the lower lip on the the drivers side. Oh maybe a thermostat housing leak, looked closer and there was coolant above the thermostat housing dripping on to the steam re-leaf tube bracket. As I watched a nice big drop formed at the hose clamp on the steam re-leaf tube.

In the morning I'll drain the coolant down below that level and replace the hose and clamps. That little bit of rubber hose is probably the only rubber hose that wasn't replaced. Hope that turns out to be the problem.

Lesson learned look for the simple cause for problem and sometimes you get lucky.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com