View Single Post
Old 04-10-08, 11:04
former Resident Historian

Default Noted

Thanks. I knew that that there was another attack (at least). AN ACCOUNT OF OUR STEWARDSHIP mentions 39 lost their lives including one girl, and 40 others were seriously injured. Production resumed September 5th. A few weeks later in the warly morning of Sunday 6th October, more bombs weerd ropped and only one persom was slightly injured.

I have some I think if not all of the details of the Dagenham attacks, The one that I know personally about through my Godfather was that on 'Packards', actually Leonard Williams (19XX( Ltd in The Great West Toad at Brentford, Middlesex. A V1 hit it and killed a heck of a lot of people including women. The company were working on Packard Merlins at the time. Next door was Lincoln Cars Ltd who were at the time refurbishing Ford and Mercury V-8s. My G/father was not suppsed to be there but used to use Packard's canteen. He was injured when some roofing asbestos caught him in the leg. The Lincoln Cars' foreman led a rescue attempt and found that there had been a burst gas pipe and people were trapped behind flames. For this work the foreman was awarded the MBE.