View Single Post
Old 12-11-13, 05:17
Darryl

Default Honiara LP2/LP2A carrier

Hi all,

I was in Honiara last year with RAMSI and I checked this carrier out. It is at the Betekama Museum/mission.

From what I recall the data plates were gone and unfortunately I didn't check out the rear bulkhead as Tony said. The thing is full of 155mm or similar sized barrels and I was a bit reluctant to go climbing into it.

As Tony also said the tracks on the Australian carriers and NZ carriers are fitted in different directions. The tracks on this carrier are fitted in the same direction as my Australian LP2A carrier. That is, looking at the front of this carrier, the centre strip of the steel track is lower than the strips on the outside, giving a 'V' shape to the track profile. I think I'm right when I say the NZ carriers have the tracks around the other way and the profile of the track is almost like an inverted 'V'.

If you look at the tracks of the carrier in the picture that Lynn sent to Jeff, they have the 'V' shape looking from the rear, so when viewed from the front will give the inverted 'V' appearance, which is what I'd expect from a NZ carrier.

Not sure if I am making sense there, but hopefully so.... and that's assuming the tracks on this one haven't been removed and refitted, and that my Australian one is correct!

I'll see if I can find some more photos of this carrier that I took.

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car