View Single Post
Old 30-12-15, 04:42
carrier mech

The threshold for airsoft was dropped down to 365 feet (I might be out a foot or so) about a year back if I recall correctly. The RCMP tested against a pigs eye to see at what threshold it could cause serious bodily harm, and therefore be a firearm and not a replica. Poor pig!

Edited to add; Looks like the threshold is 366 fps and it dates back to 2012.

Here is a link to the RCMP reference: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm

And a quote:

3. Air guns that are replica firearms

These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.
In particular, some air guns commonly known as air soft guns may fall into this category. These are devices that have a low muzzle velocity and muzzle energy, and that usually discharge projectiles made out of a substance such as plastic or wax rather than metal. An airsoft gun, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet with a muzzle velocity below 111.6 m/s (366 fps), and resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, is a replica firearm and therefore a prohibited device.
Although replica firearms are prohibited, individuals may keep those they owned on December 1, 1998. It is not necessary to have a licence to possess them, and they do not need to be registered. However, an individual cannot import or acquire a replica firearm. If a replica firearm is taken out of Canada, it will not be allowed back in.
The Criminal Code sets out penalties for using a replica firearm or any other imitation firearm to commit a crime.

Last edited by rob love; 30-12-15 at 05:23.