View Single Post
Old 29-03-05, 16:43
former Resident Historian

Default id

The top one looked to my untrained eyes like a gantry ..Dodge WK-60?

Second I suspect is an ex-French order GMC AFWX-354.

The third I think is a 1940 Model Chevrolet WE, 131 inch wheelbase some of which were diverted to the UK and sold off onto the civilian market, so I assume that they were diverted from Antwerp...the featured truck may have been a sequestred Begian or Dutch truck although it could just possibly have been ex-Gennevilliers [GM France].

The fourth includes three? GMC AFWX-354 ex-French order trucks, with that crew-cab again. Likewise next one.

Wermacht [Heer] truck WL 314297 looks to me as though it is a 1939 Chevrolet COE, perhaps VE? The trailer arrangement is typical of those produced in the Low Countries, and I wondered if Hanno thought it was a sequestred Dutch civilian outfit?

These are amazing photos and proves to me that some of the French orders for Chevrolet and GMC military trucks did land on the Continent and were a nice present for the German forces...perhaps used on the Russian front? Having said that I would love to see a German Chevrolet Houlder-Thornton YR 6 x 4 as these were supposedly shipped after the Armistice.

Bart stated that a consignment of GM trucks was offloaded at La Rochelle, intended for the French forces but the Germans found them and had them asembled for their own use. Given known timing of the order placement in New York in 1939 and when the diverted crates landed in the UK, I wondered whether any of the AFWX trucks were included in the La Rochelle batch?

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 29-03-05 at 23:10.