View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 19:17

Work on the receivers is now on hold, pending arrival of a supply of needed spare valves, so I am switching to the Sender, in order to start giving it some much needed TLC. It is a sad looking bit of kit at the moment, but the front panel is going to be the much easier task to undertake, and will have much more visual impact when finished (whenever that turns out to be).

The vast majority of paint chip damage to the Sender has happened around the edges of the panel and in a few spots, I will have to wick glue under the lifting paint to secure it from further damage. I am hoping that once the staining in the varnish has been polished down to the desired patina, the damaged paint around the edges will become less noticeable. The front panel of the Sender is so chocked full of knobs dials, buttons and switches, the eye gets naturally drawn away from the outer edges and the paint chips tend to disappear into the background shadows. The damage is not at the point where it detracts from the Sender and keeping it adds confirmation this 52-Set had a working history.

Apart from the paintwork, this Sender has very little other physical issues discovered so far. The four attached photos cover off what I have found will require some attention, and only one is currently of concern.

The first photo is of roughly the upper right quadrant of the panel. A panel mounting screw has had its head snapped off, directly above the BAND Switch. The screw shaft is exposed behind the chassis, but next to impossible to access to try turning it all the way out. It will likely become a candidate for being carefully drilled out. It is one of those small, split tip self threading items that also shows up in the assemblies of the 19-Set so should be an easy item to find replacements for from some of the bits I have on shelves as spares.

The critical repair also shows up in this photo. It is the COUNTERS, 0/9999, 2-3/4 inch x 1-3/8 inch x 1-7/8 inch, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4642, which is the small, four-digit dial indicator for the 7 – 16 MC PA TUNING assembly. As you can see, the indicator shows ‘0,0,0,4/3’ with the dial brought all the way back to its starting point. It should be showing ‘0,0,0,0’ at this point and I will have to figure out how to zero set it eventually.

The second photo is the upper left quadrant of the panel showing how badly chipped the paint is on the Blower Fan Cover. No way around it, that item will have to be removed, cleaned up and repainted. Way too much bare metal now showing on it.

The third photo is the lower left quadrant and the only thing going on there at the moment is another split type panel screw that is completely missing.

The last photo is the lower right quadrant where the Slow Motion Drive for the PA TUNE dial is missing critical parts, which I now have a suitable temporary replacement.
Another bright note, I have discovered the cabinet lock for blocking High Power Mode on the output power switch, is not frozen. Just need to track down keys for it eventually.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 9.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 10.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 11.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 12.JPG