View Single Post
Old 27-04-11, 23:37

Default Progress on engine and body

On Tuesday I finished tearing the engine down in general it was in surprisingly good condition, measured all the bearings on the crank and they all are measure within .005 of being completely round no real scoring or wear evident but a chip missing from #2 and #3 the thrust bearing as a line across it that looks like a plastic gage line. Did they use plastic gage in 1945? All the bearing shells are market GM with uniform shimming.

The camshaft measures good but looks ugly, so I think I'll let the machines decide what to do with it.

The cylinders had little or no ring ridge though they did have a gum/varnish line above the rings that had to be cleaned off. Used the ridge removing tool but could have removed what was there with a razor blade. All the crank journals look good and measure as being nearly true in diameters what is strange though is that they vary in size one to the next. All the connecting rods have Babbitted bearings the # 1 lower was compete when removed but then started falling apart. See picture. As soon as the new head arrives I'll get the block and parts up to the machine shop.

Today we had our first really warm day 70+ so I pulled the body out of the shop to use the pressure washer on it. As warm water works better than cold for cleaning parts I have added an adjustable hot water tap out side. Used it for the first time today. Really seemed to clean better and it is a lot nicer getting splashed with 105 degree water than the 45-50 degree that normally comes out of the pressure washer.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
WEB 4-27Beast Rebuild Camera 005.jpg   WEB 4-26 Beast Rebuild Camera 014.jpg   WEB 4-26 Beast Rebuild Camera 027.jpg   WEB 4-27Beast Rebuild Camera 003.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com