View Single Post
Old 28-02-12, 14:41

Default Oil Pressure? What oil Pressure?

Hi Phil.
I was intrigued by your experience with the oil pressure readings on your 216. From my observations over many years these engines are unlike any other in the way the lubrication system works. Oil pressure doesn't seem to mean very much.

From my understanding of it, if it wasn't for the distribution valve there would be little or no pressure at all. It's function is virtually that of a relief valve with the oil that passes through the valve being 'dumped' back into the sump via the six big end supply nozzles. Meanwhile the back pressure it creates pushes oil to the main bearings, camshaft bearings and rocker gear. In view of the foregoing I would tend to think that perhaps the value of the distribution valve spring would have a greater effect on oil pressure than engine condition.

I'm not surprised that the oil pressure showed no change when you shut off the flow to the filter as the Military Senior Filter is intended to operate on the bypass principle and has its own built in restriction. The oil has to pass through a tiny hole in the centre tube to exit the filter.

Just a few thoughts on the matter in case you were still mulling things over.

David