View Single Post
Old 05-01-12, 07:18

Default Survivors?

Thanks Ed for the update. There were probably many people involved, if not most of the camp, in this escape. One of my close friends here in Vancouver is a fellow by the name of Anthony "Tony" Cowling. Tony was captured at the fall of Singapore and spent 4 and half years in a Japanese POW Camp. He wrote his autobiography entitled "My life With The Samurai". Can't tell you if the books on line or whether you can buy it at any book stores, but a fascinating book to read from a boy of 17 years of age, when captured. If any of the forum members would like to purchase a copy, I can arrange it, at cost.
The ironic part of this story was that Tonie's brother was shot down over Germany and ended up at Stalag Luft 111 POW Camp and partook in being a " Penguin" in the digging of the tunnels.
As Tony says from "Down Under", all is lost if our generation doesn't record and keep the history alive.
An interesting note on Tony Cowling.... during the time I've known Tony, I've tried to help him out marketing his book, even bought a couple of dozen books and sent off copies for Christmas prezzies, only to be complimented by friends, family and military buffs. I've helped him build and accent his display and made sure he got prominent display in any event we were involved in.
There was a point when I took him for lunch in Richmond BC and as he asked for, we ended up at a Thai Restaurant. At that point, I was ready to eat the arse out of skunk....I was so hungry!
Rather than ordering a selection of dishes of various delights, as would of being my choice, Tony opted for a small bowl of rice and a extremely small bowl of condiments....and that was Lunch! Chopsticks and all.

And to watch this man.... carefully and so cautiously eat this tiny bowl of rice....and I,m talking Tiny, just made me realize what this guy had gone through and who bears that scar till this day.

I know I've digressed from the original topic of this discussion, but because of Tony and his brother, I'd thought I'd share this with the Forum Members. Robert Morrison ( Canadian Military Remembrance Society )

Last edited by r.morrison; 05-01-12 at 08:48.