Thread: Chevrolet C8
View Single Post
Old 26-11-17, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Richard

Carb - Before you do anything to the carb how old is the gas. The modern gas in the US goes off in 3-4 months and runs like garbage. Have learned to hold off on trying to find power related problems until I dump new gas in the tank and run the engine long enough that I know it is getting fresh fuel to the Carb. Also check your air filter, Pattern 12s have a peculiar problem the placement of the airfilter can let water drip into the oil bath raising the level of the fluid in the filter so that engine has trouble breathing.

Even with rubber gasket at the top edge of the hood mine decided to add an inch of water to the filter. Truck would start but not pull well, like driving with the choke pulled out. This was from one rain storm, over night at a Club Event.

Cheers Phil
I’ve had the air filter off and yes there was a bit of water in the bath. Small puddle on top of the filter leaking exactly as you said!But not enough to cause the issue. I ran it with out the filter and it still dies when opening it up. The fuel is new so I’ll end up refurbishing the carb I think.

Last edited by Richard Nixon; 27-11-17 at 10:00. Reason: spelling