View Single Post
Old 21-09-17, 22:51

Default August 10th is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
“Leilan” is a girl’s name.

L troop of the 5th A/T Regt RCA was destroyed near Quesnay Wood with the lost of all four of its 17pdr M-10s, on the 10th (?) of August, 1944.

From the book South Albertas (p117)

“It is not known why B Squadron was withdrawn from St. Hilaire Farm but in any case Swatty decided to replace them with the troop of M-10 self-propelled 17-pdr. guns from 5th Anti-Tank Regiment assigned to the SAR. This unit's heavy anti-tank weapons were normally allotted, on a troop basis, to the other units in 4th Division for defensive purposes, the self-propelled equipment going to the armoured regiments, the towed pieces to the infantry battalions.

“By this time the Recce Troop had worked out a safer route to the farm and L Troop of the 5th Regiment was sent that way in the early afternoon guided by their troop leader in a jeep. Unfortunately they made a wrong turn and moved too close to Quesnay Wood - within minutes all four guns were brewed up by AP fire and only one crew escaped. The commander of the last vehicle in action, a Sergeant McAlinden, "was last seen firing his gun while his M-10 was burning" and received a posthumous Mention in Dispatches. The troop leader survived and drove back to Langannerie, where he ran into Captain Jay Moreton of B Squadron. Jay had "heard the firing going on and shortly after a guy turned up and ... said his four tanks were gone and he was just a young fellow and he was weeping all over the place." There was nothing that Jay or anyone else could do to comfort the man.”
Hello John

August 10th is correct. My Father Cliff was a sergeant for L troop of 5th A/Tk regt. RCA. All four M10's were destroyed. The story from "South Albertas" is very interesting. I have two other accounts of that "battle" one from his commanding officer and one from one of the soldiers who witnessed it first hand.

I am putting together all the info I can about that day. My father was taken prisoner and spent 9 months as a P.O.W. in Fallingbostel.

Looking forward to hearing from you sir.

Cheers !
Mike Slusar