View Single Post
Old 28-05-12, 04:38

Default my first resto

As 40 year old pics I'm aware these may be of limited interest, but having no current resto in progress they're the best I can offer for the moment!

This series depicts disassembly prior to cut up and disposal of the chassis, which was badly bent and twisted. The front section was retained as an assembly bed for the motor, which can be seen running in one of the pics. Despite having been recently reconditioned I pulled it apart to fit new rings and bearings, and to lap the valves and adjust clearances. In fact, youthful curiosity led me to pull everything on this blitz apart, just to see what was inside! In so doing I created a great deal of unnecessary work for myself, but it was an excellent learning process, and did lead to some replacement of badly worn bearings etc, so the effort wasn't entirely wasted.

Looking back now it's hard to believe such a resto could be carried out in the open, with very limited tools, and everything having to be lugged around and manhandled into place by a couple of teenagers! Only once did we use any lifting gear, when I borrowed a block and tackle from the servo where I worked, to carry out final engine fitment. Perhaps that accounts for my lifelong back problems!
Attached Thumbnails
tonyblitz 106.jpg   tonyblitz 107.jpg   tonyblitz 108.jpg   tonyblitz 127.jpg   tonyblitz 110.jpg