Thread: Gas Gas Gas
View Single Post
Old 03-09-05, 16:27

We can argue this all day but I must agree with Chris in that this price increase will have a devastating effect on our economy. The UK fuel prices are high, yes, but we have doubled in less than one year. These trucking statistics are not indicative of the
amount of actual truck traffic on the highways. I travel 100 km each way to work on the world's busiest motorway. Now look that up! A full 35% of the large truck traffic is US carriers. As Geoff has indicated he can take public transport to work. How many other MLUers can? Good or bad it is non existent in my area. Closest pub is 25 km. How far are Cletrac or Shawn from civilization? A lot further I bet. Distance and costs are only what you make of them anyway. Some UKers won't drive their vehicle from the southern part of England to Beltring.$$$$$ Others like Martin Eaton say " let me pop down to Kent, take you home for a visit and then I will drive you back to Beltring tomorrow in the CCKW". Gosh he lives north of London. I don't think I have been to any MV meet in the UK without meeting Tom Bewick. In Canada I travelled one way, 2976 km just to pick up my FAT body. That is further than from London to Istanbul (2500 km) or London to Moscow (2498 km). Brian Gough travels 1261 km to his cottage! Face it, it's gonna hurt. I'm with Geoff in that we should redevelop the wood burners. Next lets talk about how much its gonna cost to heat the shop for restorations. No lets not go there. I'm waiting for the kiss cuss I just got scr*#ed.

: : : :

Cheers, Barry