View Single Post
Old 26-08-21, 15:52

So far this week, all I have been doing on the Main Set Receiver each evening has been to turn it on and let it warm up for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I turn on the Crystal Calibrator, let it warm up an equivalent amount of time and then randomly tune to several frequencies on all three Bands of the receiver.

Interestingly, at the start of this process, I had difficulty finding the calibrator signals on Band 3 (7.5 to 16 MC). Now, for some reason, I can track the calibrator all the way through Band 3. Granted, both RF and AF GAIN Controls are maxed out and you really have to pay attention, but they are there now. I cannot help but wonder is after so many years of inactivity, and misalignment, sufficient electrons are now flowing through some of the components once again, they can actually start doing what they were intended to do.

I have also cleaned the 9 Trimmer Capacitors in the RF Coil Assembly and have been dabbing their central tuning cores with alcohol each night in an effort to break up any dirt that might prevent them from turning. The plan for the coming weekend is to realign all the 8 Trimmer Capacitors in the IF Coil Assemblies and then do an alignment of the RF Coil Assembly and see how that affects the performance of the receiver.

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 28-08-21 at 05:08.