View Single Post
Old 02-07-22, 14:39

The fact there are so many pieces to this project can be very daunting at times, but every once in a while this proves to be a blessing.

I have been spending the last few weeks focused on sorting out the Sender electrically. A strong part of this motivation is the simple fact I do not have a back up Sender assembly I can turn to if anything serious fails in the one I have on hand. Should that happen, I have a vey large paperweight sitting on my bench.

The second, related motivation is the fact I experienced a massive load hitting the Supply Unit when I first applied it in full power mode to the Sender, suggesting something was indeed seriously wrong somewhere, and that it was very likely in the Sender.

In the process of considering likely candidates for a problem in the Sender, I was looking closely at a couple of transformers as possible candidates this week and going through the Parts Lists to glean any useful information held therein. While doing so, I thumbed passed the two Rotary Transformers when a detail regarding the MG1A unit struck me. Its input rating was 12 Volts DC at 7.5 Amps. That prompted me to check its big brother MG2A directly below it. Its input rating was 12 Volts DC at 25 Amps. I was actually quite shocked, no pun intended.

I then checked TABLE VII, CURRENT DRAINS on Page 20 of the Operators Manual and there it was, 31 to 35 Amps in Low to Medium Power when the Sender was active in the Set. I had completely missed that point in getting overly concerned about potential problems with the Sender itself. I am currently running the 52-Set on just one CPP-2 Power Supply with a maximum output of 12 Volts DC and 22 Amps.

I am not that impressed with myself this morning, but still glad I discovered this when I did. Now to get the 2nd CPP-2 Power Supply I purchased from Brian Asbury last year paralleled into the system today and try again.

David