View Single Post
Old 06-10-18, 13:51
Lionel G. Evans

Default Got One - at last!

Hello All,

After an eight year search and a couple of disappointments I have a 1963 Land Rover 2A Ambulance sitting at my home. After some research and links with a number of people I have obtained photographs of the ambulance during its military service. I also have met one of the Ambulance's former medics.

I took the liberty to give the ambulance a name... "Lazarus". This is because it has had a hard life since its military days to the extent it will require a LOT of work to bring it back to fine fettle.

Part of the after military life involved trips along beaches. Unfortunately this did not involve being hosed off after such trips. The result is a "Swiss Cheese" effect where there are more rust holes than metal in the bulkhead/firewall. I took a round trip of 8 hours last weekend to secure a replacement bulkhead.

The engine will need a rebuild. When I pulled out the dipstick it brought up a nice yoghurt coating. All in all it is a "long-term" project.

Its Army Registration Number (ARN) according to the nomenclature plates was 112-211. The vehicle was attached to the 11th Field Ambulance Transport The cabin doors still have a stencil showing "11 FD AMB TPT".

The last photograph is an one of the "in-service" shots. The bloke sitting on top of the ambulance is Chris; and he paid had a reunion with his old ambulance here at home about a month ago.

Kind regards
Lionel

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	102710 Click image for larger version

Name:	Home 2.jpg
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	102711 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambulance Pick-up (2) July 15th 2018.jpg
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	102712 Name:  Chris Ambo In-Service 112-211.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  64.1 KB
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 06-10-18 at 14:25.