View Single Post
Old 09-02-17, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Yes Jack, I agree. There is also some cross-hatched markings there, perhaps the marks left by a tight clamping in a vice. The filing would be to return the shaft to a state where pawl would still fit back on, because it has a flat portion to prevent it slipping when the pedal shaft actuates. Curious there isn't any evidence of rust, or where rust had been, to indicate exactly wht might have become 'stuck'. I wonder if a pawl it was used with may have been welded in place, completely 'jamming' it that way. The pawls I have are not necessarily the ones originally mated to the pedals. I do know these things are 'rocking horse' rare, and I'm very pleased to have these to work with. The slight damage to the one pedal is nothing to worry about. Especially the case when you consider rarity and the very light duty mine will receive from now on. Impressive they have survived 70+ years without being scrapped.

I probably mentioned previously that my Wifes Mother passed away mid/late last year, and on one recent trip to her farm for clearing and sorting, I became aware of two lengths of timber dowel that she would use to hold her quilting work taut, while working. These lengths of timber would easily be 6ft, and perhaps 2" across, solid wood. I don't know at this stage whether those are hardwood or not, but to me they look quite suitable for making the handspike themselves. Neither of the two girls (Wife & her Sister) are interested in quilting, so I have claimed the timber for myself! They are not easy to get to, but once I've retrieved them for closer look, I will measure precise width, for suitability. Hope they will do the job. My problem then will be to manufacture the metal ends that lock into the mechanisms I'm making. At some point, machined metal ends need to be attached to the timber poles, and I prefer that the timber is turned down on a lathe, for best fit. The question is, what the hell type of wood lathe takes 6 foot lengths between the centres??? My welder mate, across the road, will have some thoughts on this, I imagine. Perhaps a jerry-rigged setup using two lathes (he does have at least 2 wood lathes).
Why do you need a 6' lathe bed? The spikes are only about 3' long or thereabouts. Cut the wood in half. Rob Nixon had some made a while ago. He might have some left.
1941 Fordson WOT 2H (Unrestored)
194? Fordson WOT 2D (Unrestored)
1939 Ford 1 ton utility (Undergoing restoration)
1940 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
1941 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
BSA folding bicycle
BSA folding bicycle
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3A gun tractor
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3 gun tractor (Unrestored)
1941 Diamond T 969 (Unrestored)
Wiles Junior Cooker x 2