View Single Post
Old 24-11-17, 15:54

Default From the parts lists

There seem to have been early and late shift linkages with changeover at the start of "1944" production. The tower style being early and the one shown above late. Only a theory - but perhaps the style shown above may have been developed to reduce the fiddling to set up the tower style? Perhaps to ensure drivers didn't use 4WD on pavement (they would select high and as a result 2WD for speed)? I had noticed the later style linkage in the C60X parts book but hadn't been conscious of it in the others until I saw the linkage in person and started trying to understand. The C60X version also shows a brace rod from the transmission to the transfer case that isn't illustrated in any other list. Again only a theory - to support the greater torque of the 270 CIG GMC engine compared to the 216 CID Chevrolet?
The C60S and C60L parts lists I have only illustrate the earlier linkage but they do list the later parts. (There is a later version of these lists than the ones I have.) The C60S and L illustrations appear to be the same as those shown as the earlier pattern in the C30 and CGT lists. The illustrations in the CGT and C30 lists appear to be the same. As far as I know, no C60X had a winch as the usual transfer case winch location is used to drive the second rear axle.
Attached Thumbnails
CGT TCase diagram sized.jpg   C60X TCase diagram sized.jpg