View Single Post
Old 11-03-11, 23:52

Default Progress Report March 1st to 11th

When we last left our story the poor BEAST the chassis was lounging around the barn in the nude, stripped of most of its parts. (pict) Now it axles and spring assemblies have been removed. Axle housing are all cleaned sanded and ready for paint, more on that in a moment.

With everything that can be unbolted from the chassis removed the frame is really pretty easy to handle (pict ) shows the frame hanging from its CG with the ratchet strap only keeping it from doing a titer totter act. The chain fall holding this is the same one I use for engine pulls and is rated at 500-700 lbs. I make note of the CG locations of the heavier components as it makes handling them alone much easier. Once you know where the CG is pretty easy to flip the frame over or stand it on edge to work on it. (pict)

Which is heavier on a HUP the individual axle assemblies or the engine transmission group? Answer the axle assembly by a large margin. To pick up either front or rear axle assemblies with the chain fall had to remove tires and brake drums. With out lightening them all I was doing was climbing the chain.

Once it axles can be lifted I hung them from the chain fall supporting some of the weight on sawhorse to clean and get them ready for paint. (pict)

Getting to the correct OD color is the next step I’ve been taking photos of various protected locations on the HUP during the dis-assembly places where dirt, air, and light has left it alone places such as tight fitting body parts, under mud flaps etc. These I’m trying to match up with OD paint colors and spec numbers that the local paint store can mix. (pict) this picture is rather small and may loose something in the smaller size for MLU, so I’ll post it at a higher resolution on my web site this week end.

Progress has slowed now that I’ve gotten to the real mechanical parts because I changed over to clean parts as I work instead of just disassembling everything then starting to clean. Without really cleaning stuff I can see what needs to be replaced or reworked.

Stay tuned for more of the saga of three CMPs living in the woods of New Hampshire.

Cheers Phi
Attached Thumbnails
MLU 2-18 Beast Rebuild Camera 002.jpg   MLU 3-3 Beast Rebuild Camera 004.jpg   MLU 2-18 Beast Rebuild Camera 031.jpg   MLU 2-18 Beast Rebuild Camera 029.jpg   MLU Paint colors JPG.jpg  

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com