View Single Post
Old 04-09-17, 14:33

Default Dances with cups....

Practically all my suspension cups are knackered - either worn out or cracked and broken. With replacements being non-existent, I've been scratching my head as to what to do.

I explored several options and settled on this for my experiment - 65 RON Polyurethene with 10% graphite powder (by weight).

I'm not very happy with the mould as I used a silicone putty and it's left some gaps and odd shapes but the cups clean up so it is good enough for this experiment.

The blue cup is an original that I've rebuilt for the mould, second is the rough cast and last is partially finished.

The resultant cups are not yet as strong as the original (they need a week to fully cure) but the graphite is giving some good lubrication properties, just not sure how quickly they will wear - but then we're not doing many miles on them.

Does anyone have any experience with manufacturing replacement cups?

I also found the engine stand at Wayne's. Possession being nine tenths of the law, I relocated it back home and have nearly finished stripping the engine in prep for rebuild.

Overall, despite a huge amount of crud, it was in fair condition. I'll finished pulling it down and send it off for a bath to work out what needs doing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2336.jpg   IMG_2337.jpg  

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)