View Single Post
Old 17-02-09, 00:18

Default Good point about no paint inside the doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
....Grant pulled apart the doors - removing the outer skins so that Bob could map the interior dimensions. Two things were noted - there was no paint on the interior surfaces, and penetrating oil really penetrates! The oil was sprayed on some of the nuts and bolts and had seeped almost to the other side of the door. ......).

You raise a very important point about CMP doors which I have confirmed on all three of my trucks. The inside of the doors were not painted hence some of the rust out problems. I have tackled this in different ways if I re-skinned the doors I have painted the inside. When not re-skinning I've removed the doors taped up all the openings and poured in about a quart of cosmoline like industrial rust inhibitor, the waxy stuff works best if it is heated up till it pours like water. Then rotate the door slowly until the inside of the entire door has been coated then drain out the excess. One caution if you ever have to do any welding on the door be prepared for the coating to catch fire, which means any welding should be done with the door removed from the truck.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com