View Single Post
Old 23-02-09, 02:38
Mr. HUP

Default Barn Notes Part II

Bob queried my posting of photos on this thread. He had a question from a fellow CMPer from afar about the types of photos being posted on threads. Since the Posting Photos thread is locked, I'll respond here with my two cents worth.

We have two options as far as I know:
Attaching thumbnails; or
Attaching a photo via URL.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Thumbnail is easy to effect - just follow the directions under "Manage Attachments". Once posted it requires that extra step (clicking) to expand it but it usually only gets a little larger. No problem. You can save the photo by right clicking and selecting the save options. You can then open the photo in a photo manipulation program and have your way with it.

My preferred option is to post a URL to a photo by copying it and pasting it into the text field of a reply. There are disadvantages - first, you need to join an online photo archiving website (I use Photobucket), set up an account and upload the photos to the website. You must also allow public viewing, so save the "candid snaps" for your private viewing... Once uploaded, you superimpose the cursor over the photo and all sorts of detail pops up. Select the URL, copy and paste it as mentioned. Here's the rub - if the website closes up shop or changes some of its "character", your link may/will be lost. I am not sure how much bandwidth URLs take up, but the larger photos sure look nice...

We will see if Bob goes the thumbnail or URL route when he posts photos of today's barn antics...