View Single Post
Old 07-12-18, 07:46

Great info Jon, thanks for posting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bradshaw View Post
Can anyone show me pictures of the water tap/spigots that go on the end of the pipes for filling canteens and water cans? Are they a specific kind/ brand? Not much info available on them. I have the manual with some really good schematics for the piping and it looks like they are single sided knobs.
The manual has lots of good info on operating the truck and good pictures for setting it up but doesn't mention what the pipes were made out of. I assume all the piping was made of galvanized steel, not copper. I wonder about using modern pipes since galvanized water pipe is no longer easily found. I could possibly use smaller chain link fence posts and top pipes with some threading work..... Or use copper and cover it with paint. I plan to use the truck with water and show it off with water in it so I want the pipes to work.
That manual looks good; much more info than the British one. You should check out this thread:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19723

Posts 15 to 17 contain the pages from the parts book for your water tank, which will help. I suspect you are correct that the pipe would have been galvanised; for mine, I intend to use steel pipe and malleable iron fittings. I felt copper would be too 'wobbly'.

From the parts list, the taps were "Crane No.800"; see attached photo. I've never managed to find any, though.

Do you also have the power pump? I believe the Canadian water tanks used a Fairbanks Morse 40A Typhoon pump, 700 Gallons per hour capacity. But I've never seen one installed, so not sure how they were installed.

Good luck!

Owen.
Attached Thumbnails
some fall 09 057.jpg  
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406