View Single Post
Old 25-02-16, 01:51

Default Wireless Set No 52 Canadian Production

Is anyone familiar with the production history of this Wireless Set?

It was an offshoot of Marconi Canada's efforts to improve the Wireless Set No.9, which had resulted in so many improvements/changes, the initial production was redesigned the Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian. What puzzles me is the ID plates used on the four major components: Receiver, PSU, Transmitter and Coil, Aerial Tuning Unit. In particular, the receiver.

The main set receiver has an ID plate on the front of it identifying the item as: Receiver, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52.

Somewhere years ago, I have seen a remote receiver assembly with an ID plate on the front of it showing either, "Receiver Remote, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52" or, Remote Receiver, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52".

The remote and main set receivers are virtually identical in design and can apparently be swapped out for one another with no problem.

In the past year or two, several remote receivers have showed up for sale in different locations on the internet and all of them are completely lacking in data plates. Screws can be seen on the front panel blanking out the holes where the data plate would normally be attached. Not sure if this represents, a production change, or is simply a result of post military service souvenir hunting, or perhaps a shortage of receivers at some point so remote units were put into service in main sets and the ID plates removed to avoid confusion.

Not sure how many 52 Set experts are out there compared to the 19-Set and others, but thought I would toss it out in case somebody has information to share.

Cheers,

David